Sunday, April 17, 2011

Abbey Road Cafe

Where: Abbey Road Cafe (129-131 Acland St, St Kilda, VIC, 3182)
What: Sunday lunch
Rating: 12/20

The Melbourne weather gods were shining on the city today and it seemed to be the perfect opportunity to head down to the St Kilda esplanade for some last minute Eurotrip2011 gift shopping.
Around an hour into the shopping, my beloved and I decided that it was definitely beer-o-clock! We wandered down Acland Street, eager to try a place at which we hadn't previously dined. Abbey Road seemed to be bustling full of patrons and lured me in with its eclectic mix of music posters and artifacts (what can you expect with a name like that?!). While it appeared vaguely chaotic, as soon as I saw that Rekorderlig cider was on the menu, I was won over!

My beloved decided on the "Aussie Burger" - a beef pattie, beetroot, lettuce, tomato and onion with mayo and handcut chips. I have to say that the burger was seriously delicious. The pattie was well seasoned, juicy and full of flavour. As far as burgers go, this one would rate very highly on my list - my only recommendation: a crunchier bun.
My dish, on the other hand was less of a success - jacket potato with avocado, chilli con carne and corn, served with a side salad. The side salad was the highlight of this plate with its tangy, mustardy dressing. Also excellent were the slices of avocado atop the potato, which were abundant and perfectly ripe. However, overall the dish lacked flavour and the potato was only lukewarm. Perhaps I'm being fussy, but I do like my baked potatoes to be steaming hot.
Our experience at Abbey Road was mixed - value for money wasn't great, but service was friendly and attentive. While I've had much better meals in St Kilda, our Abbey Road burger was delicious, the beer was cold and I was overall a happy camper!

Abbey Road on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. Although I've moved, I lived bang in the middle fof St Kilda for ten years. Most of those cafes are pretty aweful as the Urban Spoon score of 48% shows - a massive fail. But Rococo isn't too bad. One of Nobu's senior people couldn't get into Cicciolina a few years back so went to Rococo and raved about the brodo and tomato soup. So i tried it and Nobu was there trying it too. It was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have had a reasonable meal at Rococo, but it was bursting at the seams with people on Sunday and we thought we'd try something different...not quite an epic fail...but definitely not highly recommended!
    Love your hot cross buns post btw - can't go wrong with Babka IMHO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Went to Abby Road on Friday night for the first time..and neither i or my friends will be going back. Rude rude management!!! A bunch of bogans run this joint. Such a shame. I live in the area and was hoping this would be a decent venue... no such luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a pity! It's such a shame when you have those sorts of experiences. It surprises me that with the variety on offer in Melbourne (and St Kilda more specifically), these establishments last... Oh well, better luck next time :)

      Delete