Monday, December 20, 2010

Choc-peanut butter balls (and a lack of reverberation!)

I've sort of had enough of the introspective navel gazing that seems to accompany most of my reverb10 posts. As such, I'm having a little break. I also think that you've all probably heard enough about the highlights of my year and my numerous foibles (and believe me, they are numerous!). Interestingly, it seems that some other participants have been growing weary of the exercise too.


So onwards and upwards - it's time to share with you one of my all time favourite recipes. This was initially sent to me by my oldest, dearest friend (who has since informed me that she's lost the recipe and could I please send it back to her!). It has since become a staple in the home of my brilliant Swedish/Kiwi pals and is demanded annually by my parents. These little gems are salty, sweet and crunchy. They have enough fibre and protein to make you think they're healthy...and enough fat and sugar to make you feel just a wee bit guilty! The thing I love most about this recipe is that no baking is required. You can literally throw the ingredients together in minutes - a great last minute dinner party gift.


Choc-peanut butter balls
Makes approximately 40 (2.5 x 2.5cm) balls

1 cup good quality chunky peanut butter
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
1 cup chopped dates
1tbls butter/margarine 
150g cooking chocolate (I suggest dark chocolate)


Mix peanut butter, sugar, nuts, dates and butter well. 
Shape dough into small balls.
Melt chocolate and spread on top of the balls
Refrigerate for a minimum of 20 minutes...et voilà! How easy was that?!
Note that I was in a rush to prepare this batch and went for a *cough* rustic look with the chocolate. You can even see the distinct fork marks, which I actually think give the treats a little character. If you have more time up your sleeve, I suggest skewering each ball and then coating the top half in the melted chocolate.


Enjoy...and trust me, it's hard to stop at one! 

2 comments:

  1. What could give better reverberations than choc-peanut butter balls?!

    ReplyDelete