Thursday, December 2, 2010

Reverb 10

Inspired by the very articulate Shauna, and knowing that it would get my posterior into blogging gear, I've decided to take part in Reverb 10 - an annual online event that involves reflecting on the year gone by and manifesting what's next. Each day I will be provided with a creative prompt, which, with some luck, will inspire some literary gold. 


So here goes:
December 1  One Word.
Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you're choosing that word. Now, imagine it's one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?
(Author: Gwen Bell)


2010: Full
To say this year has been busy may be an understatement. I have changed jobs while studying two nights a week, as well as playing basketball a couple of times a week. I have taken up cycling and now try to ride to and from work once or twice per week. I have taught myself how to make metal clay jewelery and sew (apparently I'm not as much of a "natural" on the sewing front as I had hoped!). I have rekindled some special friendships with old pals from abroad, been a bridesmaid and eaten a few too many dinners out with friends. I have *tried* to keep the house clean and cook as much as possible. I have also tried to keep these guys happy...
...and somewhere amongst it all we also managed to sneak in a short holiday to tropical North Queensland.
Phew! Just writing all that down makes me feel exhausted. I am glad to be taking a break from my MBA studies over most of the Summer and will be sure to enjoy taking it easy for the coming months. While "busy" can be exciting and certainly makes the time pass quickly, 2010 didn't allow me sufficient time to enjoy the all important minutiae of life. That's where (I'm hoping!) 2011 comes in!

2011: Exploration
At least two months of 2011 are to be spent abroad and I truly cannot wait. The flavours, aromas, sites and sounds of the South Pacific, Europe, Middle East and Asia will all be experienced. Flights are booked, a car has been rented and hotel rooms/family and friends have been reserved/begged for some couch space. Moreover, some of the most lovely travel companions will be joining us for a very long overdue catch up. I couldn't be happier! 
When I use the term "exploration", I feel that this represents much more than a mere physical activity. I am a true believer that through travel our eyes are opened and the perception of our environment altered. Put far more articulately by Henry Miller, "one’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things".  
Here's to stopping to smell the flowers and appreciating the small things. May 2011 signal the end of subsisting at a frenetic pace and welcome living in the moment. 

2 comments:

  1. That Miller quote is so true! What I take away from traveling is much more than the places I see and the food that I eat (though that is definitely part of the experience); what continues to stay with me long after I return home is the new perspective, the relish for life, the appreciation of things taken for granted, the new thoughts and ideas. Plus, getting away from the To Do list gives us lots of time to reflect on our lives and life in general. I am so excited for you! Enjoy 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't have said it better myself! Thank you so very much for your well wishes and let's hope that "To Do" list does indeed get banished! :)

    ReplyDelete