Sunday, July 3, 2011

Eurotrip2011: Day 10

Landkreis Straubing-Bogen

I have to put a bit of a disclaimer on the next few posts - my beloved was quite unwell for nearly a week of our trip from this point. As such, our days consisted of much rest and relaxation. I apologise in advance that this does not provide the most riveting reading!

On day ten of our trip, I rose early, excited that the daughter of our hosts (one of my close girlfriends) was visiting from London for a day with her partner. While my beloved, still feeling unwell, rested, the three of us drove to the nearby River Danube and walked along its banks listening to the call of the cuckoos. The rest of the day followed the low key tone set by the morning. Lunch was at home - once again white asparagus (are you seeing a theme here?) among other things - it seems that early May is the time to eat this delectable vegetable in Germany.

After lunch it was time to head into the closest large town - Straubing. This delightful town is sizeable enough for some reasonable shopping (the usual chains - H&M, Pimkie etc., plus some local, independent stores), but small enough to have retained its charm.


Our entire group (with the exception of my poor bed-ridden partner) then headed to our hosts' favourite restaurant - a converted barn deep in the lush forests of Bavaria. The food at this establishment was truly outstanding - the best I had eaten on the trip to date. I tucked into pork medallions, tender steamed carrots and broccoli, with buttery egg noodles and perfectly balanced gravy. Simple dining that just oozed quality of ingredients and a great way to end a lovely day of catching up!

No comments:

Post a Comment