Thursday, July 7, 2011

Eurotrip2011: Day 14

Landreis Straubing-Bogen - Munich

Our last morning in rural Bavaria was quiet, calm and serene - not dissimilar to our whole stay in this area. We said some teary goodbyes to our hosts as we were dropped at the train station There, we purchased a Bayern Ticket, which allowed another three people to travel with us (a very interesting arrangement that results in random individuals asking if they can travel with you - great for meeting people and not at all tough on the hip pocket).

I felt invigorated as we returned to suburban Munich and to our previous hosts, who had kindly purchased one of my favourite German products for dinner - maultaschen. These meat filled dumplings were cooked for us two ways - the first, in a clear broth and the second, with fried eggs and onions. We commemorated our last night together with numerous glasses of wine and spoke late into the evening about religion and ethics. Given our differing views, this would usually make for contentious dinner conversation, but our ideological differences were treated with great respect and we subsequently had a fantastic evening.

I was thrilled to have the opportunity to reconnect with our German hosts in Munich. Although we have caught up on and off over the past twelve years, I realised during our most recent stay that we are now more similar than ever and that I am incredibly fortunate to have them in my lives. I can see many more trips to visit in my future!

No comments:

Post a Comment