Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Eurotrip2011: Day 12

Landkreis Straubing-Bogen

Another very quiet day to allow my beloved to rest up. Our exhilarating(!) activities included:

  • card games, television viewing and a walk in the countryside with our hosts;
  • a home-cooked meal of rice, pork and veggies for lunch;
  • apple strudel with cream and a warming cup of tea after our afternoon siesta; and
  • an excellent range of cold meats, cheeses, salad and bread for Abendbrot.

The highlight of the day came when one or our wonderful hosts took me aside and presented me with her vast amber collection. Knowing from a previous visit that amber is one of my favourite stones, she insisted that I choose any one piece from her collection to take back to Australia with me. After much protesting (I was truly overwhelmed by the gesture!), I opted for an absolutely stunning pendant. These sorts of moments make me feel so blessed to have such special people in my life. My "German family" even refer to me as their "Australian daughter" and, when being asked to decide on a piece of jewellery, I was told that "none of my other daughters like amber, so you *need* to take it". WOW! I know that these people will always be there for me...even from the other side of the world. I'm one very lucky girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment